Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Labor Day Weekend

As usual, I got caught up with fishing and failed to get my reports out in a timely fashion. Here is a recap of what has been going on up through this weekend:

Fluke: Continue to do well off of Newport. The sizes all seem to be in the 20 inch range.  We had success with various rigs but the Chartreuse color was by far the most productive. Bucktails worked well for both fluke (topped with Squid or Eel)

Sea Bass: There is  NO Shortage of these guys this year. Fin a rock, drop your lure down and bring one up.

Blues: Oh my, Hundreds of them off Newport. Range from 2 lbs up to 6 lbs. Don't throw your best lure, but do yourself a favor, pinch the barbs and make the removal process easier for everyone. You will thank me later.  It seemed as though we did not even have time to turn the handle before another one was on!

Albies/Bonito: Still waiting. Made a trip this weekend and there looked as though there could have been some but not enough for me to make my call to those anglers on hold!

Striped Bass: We have done well off Little Compton and of course Block Island. Night trips or Early morning are by far the best so if you still want a piece of that action, don't wait until last minute to call. It just does not happen like that this time of the year.

Blue Fin Tuna:  We missed the football bite off Block Island due to the charters run inshore but its all good. Those fish and the bait (half beaks) will be pushing east and hopefully mix with the larger tuna.  October is my favorite time of the year to get to the cape and chase those beasts down.

Tautog:  I will say that these guys have been finicky so far. Not in the usual spots but then again, we really don't target them until September and October.  I will keep everyone posted but for some help, start inshore. They don't move out until the weather starts to drop.

So much going on and this is my favorite time of the year. I ask you please don't wait until Thursday to Call for a weekend trip. There are so many species to go for that days are booked well in advance. If you want to get put on the Albie and Bonito list, please call. All phone calls will be made in the order that I have received your information.  The same thing goes for Blue Fin.

Go Fish!!

Capt. Brian


No comments:

Post a Comment