Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Structure Scan settings

So I had a lot of questions at the recent Providence Boat show while I was working at the Lowrance Booth.

One of the biggest questions was around the structure scan.
Structure scan covers both Down Scan and Side Scan on the Lowrance units.

I use my down scan to verify what I am seeing on my sonar and I use my side scan to know which way I need to move or cast to get back into the fish or bait.  All three screens are usually up on one unit at any given time.

Side scan settings are pretty clear from the factory install.  If you need to adjust anything, it may be the palette or distance. I tend to use the sepia and only go out as far as 80 feet either side. This gives me the best clarity and ability to pick up fish.

I won't go in and say that there are not units that can be good for you but I will say is that Lowrance is head and shoulders above Humingbird (I know several tournament fishermen that have left them to go to Lowrance), Garmin (mainly navigation but horrible on sonar), Raymarine (I had the C90 series and found it just miserable to navigate around and the sensors kept seizing up on me).  So I guess I would say that is is the best unit out there!

Keep them coming!

Capt. Brian Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment