Search This Blog

Monday, February 24, 2014

Rod Building time!

So as part of my blog, I figured I would take you through my journey of building my son's first Fly rod and Spin rod for his first birthday in April. Yes, I know he will be too young to use them but this is kind of a tradition in our family so I wanted to continue it. With this being my first rod build, I am sure I will be making some mistakes along the way. I am not going to bore anyone with how to build a rod, rather just share some photos of the progress.

The Fly Rod will be a 5'7 small stream rod (just like my dad made me). I chose the St. Croix SC2 Graphite, fast action 4-8 lb blank.  It is a solid blank that I won't mind putting some split shot on if he wants to dunk a worm every now and again! This rod was purchased from Anglers Workshop.

The spin rod is a Batson Rainshadow (IS661) in 5'6" 2 piece. Rated for 2-6 lb test, this will be a dual fresh and saltwater rod so the components will match.  I purchased this rod from CMS tackle in New Bedford with the help of Eric (great guy to work with and very patient with new builders).

If you have any questions on any of the photos, let me know. Otherwise, just enjoy the images of the progression as I am sure I am going to!
Bryce, the soon to be owner of my first custom rods. I am hoping to have them completed in time!! 

1 comment:

  1. A question came in on the reel seat; The fly rod reel seat is a Black Ash Burl. Also purchased from Angler's Workshop
    Capt.

    ReplyDelete