Search This Blog

Monday, January 20, 2014

Fly Reel Selection

With the latest Marlborough Mass Fly show, I had a few questions about fly reels (as well as before the show). Here is my brief synopsis:

Fresh water:
You don't need to spend good money on a disc drag reel. I have taken large brown trout from one side of the Yellowstone river to the other on a click and pawl reel.  Make sure the reel feels comfortable in your palm as this will be your drag.  The bigger factor is if it balances with your rod. Some manufacturers make reels that actually fit either too big or too small for rods even though they classify them as a 3, 4 or 5 weight. I have had to play around a bit but try before you buy is a good rule of thumb. Also, don't feel as if you need to spend $500 on a reel nowadays. I have one of my favorite freshwater reels (bought 3 of them retail) for under $80.  I only spent that much because I wanted it in silver!

Saltwater reels: WAY different story.
Drag is important. Very important. I don't want to be near the business end of a handle when an Albie or small tuna is ripping line quicker than I can react. Bonefish will also cause a low quality reel to become scrap metal in no time.
There are so many reel manufacturers now and it gets hard to choose one over the other. I will say this once. I bought Abel reels retail for many years before I got on their pro staff and now that I have them, I never look back. They are bullet proof, easy to clean and can handle fast running Albacore Tuna and Bonefish to Blue Fin Tuna.  That is one investment I will say is worth the price tag. My reels are scratched, dinged and look like hell. Just the way I like it.
Other quality reels on the market today are the Orvis Mirage series, Ross Big Game, Van Staal and Sage.  I use them all and for different species.  If you charter with me, ask me to bring one of each so you can try them before you purchase them. The price of a charter is still less than most of the reels so not only do you get to fish, but you also just saved some coin from not having to buy twice.

Keep them coming!

Capt. Brian Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment