Search This Blog

Monday, May 6, 2013

May is setting up to be fantastic!

Well, I told everyone this would be the only place I was going to put any form of reports so for those of you that subscribed or took the time to check my page out, you are in luck today! May is setting up to be the same, if not better than last year. Here is why:
 Upon the regular tour of my fishing spots that I do this time every year, I was welcomed with bait EVERYWHERE! I never went more than 5 minutes from the ramp to find Herring and Bunker AKA pogie all around. They were so spread out that it was actually hard to get a single location for them. I will venture to say that there was actually more schools than this time last year and for those that fished with me in May last year you know what I am talking about.  While there were only a few "swirls" of fish witnessed from a distance, they were not in any amount of numbers to tell everyone you "should have been here".  I will say for those that have a charter on the books for next week and thereafter, things are looking better than expected.  If you want to go Striper Fishing and stay close to the ramp to maximize your charter time, get a date in the books sooner than later.  As an FYI, the weekend days remaining in my books are as follows for May: 19,26. All other days are also limited but weekends seem to be the most popular for obvious reasons.

Blackfish reports have also been steady, while not my target species this time of year, they are found in the same spots you would fish for them in the fall. The wrecks and structure areas in the upper bay are producing some keepers, but the season ends at the end of the month and will not reopen until August.

I will post up images from the structure scan of the bait pods later this week but man, once the fish find them there will not be too many skinny stripers this season!  Get things in order now because it will be pure mayhem this time next week!

Capt. Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment